Adult students are sometimes called nontraditional students and the Financial Authority of Maine (FAME) has recently added a section to their website just for these learners. You can check it out by clicking here.
In general, there a some first steps to take when you decide you want to either start college or finish a degree that was interupted.
- FIRST: Look at each station in the virtual lab to see the kind of help available to you.
- NEXT: Explore careers that may interest you. There is no point in going to college if you have no idea what you want to do when you get out. You don’t need to know exactly what career or program you want but you should have a general idea. Click on Explore Careers to get started.
- THEN: Find out what local colleges offer. Sometimes more than one college will have a specific program such as nursing. Check the colleges’ websites to see find out what they offer.
- Apply for a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) pin number [link to FAFSA page under “Money for College”] so that you will be ready to apply for financial aid.
- STILL NOT SURE? Call College for ME-Androscoggin at 207-753-6556 for a one-on-one appointment.